Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Army of Safety Pins: Quilt Basted


The Purple and Limelight Log Cabin Baby Quilt (bit of a long name) is now basted with a small army of 105 safety pins. I chose the backing fabric to be brighter than my first choice, as babies aren't big fans of neutral, from my experience. 


I used a new technique for securing the backing down and it worked wonders! Scotch Blue Painter's tape, the kind you use when you want a crisp line in painting, but leaves no residue on the walls, was used in increments all around the edges, securing a very flat backing to my tabletop. I then put down the batting, cut it to size, and then ran the edge of a long quilting ruler over it to remove the wrinkles and bubbles.  Then the top was centered and smoothed by hand, after which the army of safety pins was deployed. 


My fingers hurt now, so I'm going to rest them, and will continue on with the quilting later today. It is amazing  how much actual construction goes on with building a quilt. A very interesting part of the process, albeit the part to me that feels most like work. But good work, lovely work, and totally worth it in the end, sore fingertips and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment