Tuesday, November 12, 2013

My Cottage Project: The Orchid Dollhouse






Above is my new workspace in the corner of my bedroom. I made the table, and then have been working on the shown dollhouse for about two months now, in between everything else. It comes from the Greenleaf Collection, called The Orchid. It's a Victorian-style, two level, four room house. Very cozy, and perfect to dress as a witch's cottage. Below are the panels thus far, set out the way they will go together once assembled. 
Flipping the gable and dormer window panels over, you can see the distressed finish that I will be applying to the entire upstairs bedroom/bathroom area. I glue paper down, then after it bubbles but is still a little not dry, I tear it off, then paint it, then distress it. I've put an aged shading around the windows for greater 'old' effect.





Above are some little polymer clay items I made after watching demos on youTube, to make bread, sliced and braided and large round loaves, an apple and a skull in the background. I'll post these again after I've painted them. 


The stove above will be in the bedroom for heat, though there will be a fireplace on the bottom floor in the living area. The rocking chair will probably go downstairs. Below is the antique kitchen stove and accessories that I will be assembling for the kitchen. 


Lastly, the little kitty in a basket that I found. I will be re-painting her before long. 


I am LOVING this process, even though it is an exercise in tedium. I am faithfully sanding all of the edges before painting them, and also sealing the woodwork with a satin finish to help it stand out. I will be aging the outside of the house, also, and adding a stack stone chimney for the fireplace. 

So much to do... so happy to do it! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment