Friday, May 6, 2011

Gum Colored Fun

Welcome to this brand new blog – the long-anticipated (by myself) place where I can be nerdly to my heart’s content on all things craft-related in my life! I often have so many things going on at once that I thought it would be wonderful to catalog them somehow, make some ‘to-do’ with finished WIPs and notate progress. I’ve joined Ravelry and love it, but didn’t want to bog it down to much with my musings. Here, unfortunately for those who may read this blog, it is open season. I can only hope that some of the inspiration that strikes me so repetitively and in so many ways ( ie; quilting, making small handbags, crocheting, knitting, making amigurumi and sock dolls) might rub off on others of the same ilk. Yes, that means YOU. ;-)

For my first post, I would like to showcase a little project I started last night. You see, I’ve only just learned to knit, though I’ve been crocheting since I was a young girl. I’d tried dabbling with the knitting needles before, but became too impatient with the slow progress of learning and practicing what, in my mind, I could already accomplish using one crochet hook.

Now I’m older, and am sharing the learning with my best friend. And love the springy-ness of the work, the stretch that crochet doesn’t have. Case in point: Sugar ‘n’ Cream cotton yarn. The sweet colors have always caught my eye in the yarn section of either Hobby Lobby or Michael’s, but the one time I did try to crochet it, it was too tight around the needle, wouldn’t slide easy, had very little give, and always felt like I was trying to work with too little yarn. But given the nature of knitting and having my first make-shift hat under my belt, when I saw these little ‘Gum’ colored balls of cotton yarn on sale, I couldn’t resist.



And so now I am immersed in the epitome of the practice sampling: dishcloths. So far, I love how the yarn finally has some GIVE to it while I’m working with it, and how the knitting has been soothing my mind while I gear up to go into the unemployment office this morning. Yep, I’ll be one of those ladies who brings their knitting with them to a waiting area. I’m not yet old enough to wear a purple hat while doing so, but it’s in my future.

Enjoy the pictures, and next post I’ll be sure to have something I’m actually quite good at to show you. Feel free to point out any dropped stitches you may see…

2 comments:

  1. first comment ever - w00t!!!
    love the colors - glad to hear cotton is easier to knit than crochet, coz i hate cotton! (crocheting it, anyway) your stitches are so tidy, too...
    hope you will keep this blog going! :-)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Erica! :) So happy you dropped by, and yes, the cotton works like a charm with knitting. I was surprised-- already finished the dishcloth! I intend to use it, too. Let you know how that goes. Love ya! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete