Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dressmaker?

Call it inspirational to have my honorary niece, Bethany, in the house for the weekend, but something grabbed hold of me and would not let go until I had made her a dress. Keep in mind, the only clothing I have ever made was crocheted and from a pattern... and made many years ago. Still, I had been eyeing all these lovely little, simple-looking sundresses online and in the fabric stores, and something in my head kept whispering... 'You can make one of those...'

So I did! I had the perfect model, a very slight-of-build, patient, color-loving and adventurous young lady at my disposal, and when I asked her if she would like a dress made for her, she lit up like the sun! She and I sat down with many choices of fabrics, and slowly leaned towards aquas and greens, which she assured me she loved. I let her pick out coordinates, suggesting slightly here and there... and VOILA!


(Disregard the garbage can in the background. I was so excited to be finished that I didn't set up the shot properly.)

Below is a glimpse of the back. I gave her two buttons to ensure that she will be able to wear it for many years to come.



The bow ties nicely! I was happy to see that I'd made the straps long enough! Below is a glimpse of the hem~ It was her choice to use this fabric over the darker batik in the yoke, and I'm so glad she picked it- it worked out beautifully! Dig her flip-flops! :)


I have to give Miss Bethany a BIG shoutout for being so patient with the process, for being such a gracious recipient and model, and also for sharing her time with us this past weekend. It was really special to have her in our home. We love you Bethany!  


No comments:

Post a Comment