Sunday, June 3, 2012

Star Pillow


I know, you thought I wasn't quilting anything currently, right? :)  Last December or so, I took a machine piecing quilt class at Red Hen Fabrics, and the instructor, Alta, taught us how to decipher the 'quilt by number' approach to using a machine pieced pattern. The result: It makes relatively easy work out of a pattern that looks incredibly complicated! I loved learning how to do this, though as a beginner, it was very time-consuming. The resulting star pillow, however, is one of my favorites!


I have also been playing with a new quilting foot for my machine, for free motion quilting, though above is done with straight stitch using Sulky variegated thread. Fun colors! 


The back is made from an old, soft sheet and a strip of these fantastic metallic little stars I've had for years...been waiting for a perfect reason to use them again! 


I made my first 'sketched stars' with the free motion foot, detailed below. I also made a meandering stipple-type pattern for the dark part of the star square. 


With its insert, the pillow is soft and comfy, and now everyone will think I'm a quilt star genius. Well, except for those of you who have read this. I will definitely try machine piecing again in the future...



No comments:

Post a Comment